Musikdesign – what’s that?
Musikdesign considers working with sound as part of an overall performance, being experienced by the observer both multi-sensory and in a multimedia-based way. Music designers cooperate in conception and realization of this performance with other artists, experts for marketing and product acoustics in various sectors such as brand communication, product development, architecture, multimedia installation, motion picture, interactive application and mobile content. Music designers create sound using the elements (composed) music, speech, noise and are able to analyze as well as evaluate such aesthetically and psychoacoustically.
The Musikdesign program – Bachelor and Master
Musikdesign is a course of studies by the Trossingen University of Music in cooperation with the Furtwangen University (Faculty for Digital Media). After eight semesters, graduates receive the degree ‘Bachelor of Music’. Centerpiece of the programme comprises a solid education in aural theory, composition and orchestration/arrangement. Consequently, the artistic focus may be considered as being on musical composition. Further contents will be audio and video technology, market knowledge, media and project management.
On this basis, the Furtwangen University offers in cooperation with the Trossingen University of Music a Master of Musicdesign. For more information please visit our partner website.
Please be advised that the most current and therefor binding information on the application procedure is to be found at the info-center of the Staatliche Hochschule für Musik Trossingen.
The Musikdesign programme launches each winter semester. Every year, up to 15 students are being accepted. Closing date is April 15 of the correspondent year (based on postmark).
Applications consist of the following documents:
• Letter of motivation (why is Musikdesign the programme of your choosing, about half a page ISO A4 format)
• Realization of two assignments announced a month prior to closing date plus at least one sample of your works. Please provide these files on data storage medium (USB flash drive, CD or DVD) in the formats .aiff, .wav, .mp3 or .mp4. Work samples may be music, sound design, soundtracks, radio plays, sound collages or experimental pieces. Every sample has to be composed and produced by the applicant.
• Scores, if applicable
• Descriptions of the works provided (half a page ISO A4 in 12 pt. characters per work sample) including an exact specification of the sounds and methods of digital treatment used
• Thoroughly filled-in application form (please cite ‘Bachelor of Music’ as preferred programme and ‘Musikdesign’ as major subject, instrumental subject and desired teacher are to be left blank – please note: application only possible for winter semester!)
• Two passport photographs of the applicant
• A CV comprising all significant data on previous education and occupations
• Proof of qualification for university entrance as a certified copy
Applicants without a qualification for university entrance or degree conferring professional qualifications need to provide a certified copy of the latest school certificate and a declaration of the applicant’s willingness to attend a procedure verifying particular talent as well as an adequate educational background in accordance with regulations on the academic aptitude test at the Trossingen University of Music as set by the ministry of culture Baden-Württemberg
• A statement on whether and when the applicant has already taken part in an admission procedure at the Trossingen University of Music
• Minors need to provide a declaration of consent by parents or legal guardians
• Applicants having studied at other universities before need to provide records of prior durations of studies, taken exams and acquired Credit Points according to ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) including a german translation of such
• Foreign applicants are asked to provide a verification of sufficient knowledge of the German language (language level of at least B1) as well as an assurance of the ability to finance the studies
Foreign applicants are also needed to provide a proof of citizenship (e.g. a passport copy)
• Confirmation over payment of € 50.00 application fee pursuant to sec. 27 subs. 2 of the enrolment statutes, to be paid into account IBAN: DE46 6435 0070 0000 9178 87, BIC: SOLA DES 1TUT
Please send your complete application documents to:
Staatliche Hochschule für Musik Trossingen
Stichwort: Bewerbung Studiengang Musikdesign
Only applicants with documents revealing an appropriate talent and aptitude for the course of studies will receive an invitation to the entrance examination. General information concerning applications at the Trossingen University of Music can be found at the info-centre.
Entrance Examination Bachelor
After evaluating the assignments, only a part of the applicants will be invited for the entrance examination. They comprises of three parts:
a) Aural theory and theoretical knowledge (duration: about ten minutes)
The applicant is granted the opportunity to choose between assignments of Jazz/Pop or classical music.
Unanimous melodies are to be noted down or repeated on an instrument of the applicant’s choosing (e.g. voice, piano, guitar, keyboard).
Identification of simple chords: number of notes (2-, 3-, 4-note chord), differentiation of major and minor triads.
Played rhythms are to be noted down or imitated orally or by clapping.
A given chord progression (noted and performed) is to be completed by singing or playing an instrument
b) Practical part (duration: about ten minutes)
Demonstration of a previously prepared piece (performance of music or sound), duration: two to four minutes. Permitted instruments are a laptop with live electronics, piano/keyboard, voice, musical instruments of all kinds, sounding objects; the genre can be freely selected. However, simply playing an audio file will be insufficient. Creative effort has to be identifiable, explicable and, if requested, reproducible.
Presentation of a sound example (duration: two to four minutes) having been developed during a preparatory period of three hours on a predetermined topic (poem, picture, video etc.). Permitted media are musical instruments, laptop, body sounds, live-performance, voice, sounding objects, remixes etc.
c) Colloquium (duration: about ten minutes)
Interview with the examination board
The result will be assessed as follows:
Examination part a) counts individually, parts b) and c) will be graded as one.
Part a) has to be passed, as have to be collectively graded parts b) and c).
The final evaluation results from the formula a : (b + c) = 1 : 4
Frequently Asked Questions Bachelor
When can I apply?
Applications for the follwing winter semester are being accepted until April 15.
Is there an age restriction?
What’s the final degree of the studies?
Musikdesign concludes in the officially recognized ‘Bachelor of Music’ (B.Mus.) only being bestowed by artistic universities of music.
What’s the number of semesters needed to complete the course?
Eight semesters (four years).
Will all applicants be invited to the entrance examination?
Unfortunately, not every applicant can be invited to the examination. Therefore, a preselection will be made on the basis of the application documents and assignments provided.
Where will I study Musikdesign?
Courses take place at the Trossingen University of Music and the Furtwangen University, with the major part happening in Trossingen.
How much is the tuition fee?
Detailed information are found at the info-center of the Staatliche Hochschule für Musik Trossingen.
Am I as a student of Musikdesign entitled to a student loan?
Yes, the studies entitle to student loans.
Do I need a qualification for university entrance to study Musikdesign?
If a special artistic talent and a sufficient educational background can be verified in the course of an academic aptitude test, applicants without such qualification may be admitted to studies.
Do I have to be able to read music?
What counts is musical talent – even or especially in unconventional shape. Being able to read music is not necessarily a requirement in the entrance examination.